Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 11, 2021

CULTIVATING VOICES READING, 18TH JULY, 20:00.


 

Very glad to announce that I will be giving my next public reading online next Sunday at 20:00. Sandy Yannone at Cultivating Voices Live Poetry is responsible for organizing the reading. So well done to her and all involved at CV.

Translation is the particular area of focus, and I will be joining the poets and translators Nina Kossman and Pankhuri Sinha. Nina will be reading from her native Russian, I have read with her on numerous occasions before and she is always a wonderful poet to hear reading poems aloud. As she actually can! A lot of so-called poets haven't a clue how to read their own poetry or anyone else's too, for that matter, but Nina is not one of 'them' thanks be to God. 

As for Pankhuri, I have never had the pleasure hearing her read but I know that she is coming from India and translates not only from the many dialects there but also from other languages as well. So, she would be quite the linguist it would seem. 

As for myself, well I will be reading some poems from the French. One of my own that I wrote in French originally and which I translated into English. Then a poem by Baudelaire, of course. Perhaps A Une Passante as I have only just recently translated it again. I am a little obsessed with this poem, I must admit as it practically inspired me to write my latest collection Henry Street Arcade which the French poet Yan Kouton was to translate so well into French. I am currently in the process of translating some of Yan's poems from the French, so it would be fitting then to read one of his alongside one of my translations. Failing that I'll read a poem from Henry Street with a translation by Yan. Voila, voila!

Hope to see you there! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment