Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 19, 2020

L'impossible - The Impossible






L’impossible

After finally leaving Cork, I went to live in France in 1989. There was some further travelling, a trip to Norway, a period spent in London… but after these initial wanderings, I finally settled in one of the many suburbs of Paris not too far from the old palace of Versailles. Language was, of course, a major issue. I had to learn French, and quick, in order that I could get a proper job. After doing countless odd jobs like cleaning, gardening and painting and decorating, I was finally taken on by a very popular cultural supermarket, is the best way I can describe it, called Fnac. It was in a pretty plush suburb called Parly 2, and I worked there in the storeroom for over three years.

This was a very difficult period for me, as a young man. As I was recently married, and I also had a child, my son Liam, to support. I didn’t fit in at all, to my colleagues I was just a young lost Irishman. Most of them, I think, pitied me. I struggled with the language, the culture and with my newfound responsibilities. I see it now myself in certain young people, being a language teacher. The perpetual struggle of the immigrant who is trying to assimilate into a foreign culture, and is struggling. This is the kind of challenge which really makes or breaks you as a person. Well, I spent five years there, before eventually giving in and returning home. It was all too much. I had bitten off far too much for one so young.

I wrote this poem in 1993, I know this as Giles Deleuze had just had his book Critique et clinique published by Les Éditions de Minuit, Beckett’s loyal publishers. I remember the day very well as I had bought a copy of Figaro which was very unusual for me, as I usually bought Le Monde. This was to improve my French. Well, I opened up the newspaper and I saw this photo of Giles Deleuze, the philosopher and intellectual darling of the French left.

I remember reading the article about the book, and some of the phrases which Deleuze had made during the interview with the journalist, some of which I directly paraphrased in the opening section of the poem L’impossible. I started writing on the napkin while I ate lunch in a café which was in the neighbourhood where I worked. It was a very good lunch, I remember. I must have been just paid, as dining out like this for lunch with a newspaper on my own, and no doubt a beer or two, was not the norm.

Anyway, after finishing the poem, I was very happy. As it was my first poem composed in French. I remember showing it to the waiter when he came over for the bill. That is how proud I was. Voila!        





L’impossible






Pas seulement pour raconteur des histories,
Des voyages, des amours, des éprouves,
Des rêves et des fantasmes,
Mais pour essayer d’affronetr la réalité
Et pour la prendre
Comme un objet,
Et en retour,
D’etre prise par elle,
Comme en s’appuyant
Contre un mirror qui reflète
Un autre millier de mondes possible.
Le besoin ne connait pas des limites.
Quand rien n’est define on doit, au moins,
S’occuper de sa santé.
Alors, envoyer moi les medicaments docteur
Car je vois rouges
Et mes oreilles bourdonnent
Après avoir lu le dianostic de l’éternel incurable.











Parly 2, Le Chesnay 1993










The Impossible




Not only to tell the stories of
The journeys, the loves and the many difficulties,
The dreams and the fantasies,

But to try and confront reality
And to hold it like an object
And, in turn, to be held by it

Like leaning against a mirror
Which reflects back another
Hundred possible worlds.

Need knows no limits.

And, when nothing is certain
One must at least look after one’s health!

So, show me the medicine Doctor
For I see red and my eardrums are ringing
After just having read the diagnosis
Of the eternally incurable.








4 comments:

  1. Excellent recollection of your early days, Peter. The Eternally Incurable are no doubt glad to have you among their ranks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem, and it´s universal message fits our days and situation as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you unsere. Yes, it kind of does suit the Covid 19 period, despite the fact it was written almost 30 years ago. It stands the test of time so, that is the acid test for poetry. I am very glad. Like a jeweler you want to withstand time!

      Delete