Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 21, 2020

CEEJAY - IN MEMORIUM - 1946-2020


                                                Reading with CeeJay in L'Etiquette, Paris 2017. 



In Memoriam

CeeJay -

Jean -Claude Crommelynck ( 1946 -2020)

A Personal Reminiscence

 

I read with some degree of shock about the news of the passing of the Belgian poet and rapper CeeJay, born Jean-Claude Crommelynck, last night. Although I had not met or spoken to him since our last encounter together in Paris in November, 2017, I had recently been brought into his orbit again due to the publication of the anthology Rimbaud et Moi ( Editions du Pont de l’Europe, 2020) in which we both had some poems published. This was fitting, as nineteenth century French poets such as Arthur Rimbaud are what brought us together back in 2015.

I had been invited by the poet and editor Walter Ruhlmann to co-edit an issue of his now sadly defunct printed magazine mgversion 2>datura. Through Walter and his independent publishing house mgv2>publishing which was publishing some of my early books at the time, I was coming into contact with a number of contemporary poets and writers writing in French and CeeJay was among them. I had been very impressed by his first collection Bombe voyage, bombe voyage ( maelström, Bruxelles, 2014 ). So much so that I invited the Belgian rapper poet to contribute some of his poems to the Transverser  issue I was editing in which I hoped to showcase some contemporary writers writing in French, and who were not just living in France.

CeeJay was delighted, and quickly gave me carte blanche to transverse any of the poems I liked. This is something that I will always remember about him, he had an instinctive trust in my transversions of his poems, as he knew that to translate his work literally, as some writers and translators might do, would not render the spirit of his work nor the idiom. This is the essence of my relationship with him, that of two poets who had a deep deep love and appreciation of 19th century French poets, such as Baudelaire, and the importance of giving artistic freedom or license to other writers who wished to do translation. CeeJay knew as a poet himself that all writing, to some degree, is merely translation of sorts, in the end!

When my collection of transversions The Enemy – Transversions from Charles Baudelaire ( Lapwing) came out in the summer of 2015, I was quite sick at the time and so only felt safe doing a small reading down in my local pub here in Skerries in North County Dublin. I am reminded now of a small group of around twenty sitting in the front room of The Gladstone Inn. Poets Michael J. Whelan and Christine Murray were there, along with CeeJay who had actually travelled across from Belgium to be with us. I was of course very touched by his decision to come over and join us. The publication of mgV2-81 Transverser had pleased him very much, it was the first time that he had graced the cover of a literary magazine, and he wanted to show his appreciation by supporting my latest book. CeeJay was a huge fan of Baudelaire of course.

He was a larger than life figure, and I will always remember meeting him at the airport dressed as he was in all of his multi-coloured splendour. CeeJay was an openly gay man and had been all his life. This couldn’t have been easy for him, his native Belgium is a profoundly Catholic country and I know he must have suffered terribly as an openly gay man. He spoke to me a lot about his first trip to the USA that night when we arrived in Skerries. I had booked him into the local B&B and we both spent a very pleasant few hours that night over a six pack of Chimay talking about various writers and poets that we liked. It is my fondest memory of him, talking into the wee hours over a few smokes and a few beers. The way poets and writers have always spoken to one another, I suppose.

We were very different people, CeeJay and I. He was the marginal poet and artist, eternally an exile. He spent a lot of his time outside of Europe in North Africa, for example, like so many men of his generation. Sometimes living in pretty extreme conditions, as he told me that night. Of course, CeeJay saw himself following a very specific literary tradition a la Rimbaud et Verlaine. He loved both poets dearly, and Baudelaire, and was rather ashamed of how they all had been treated in his native country. CeeJay then as the eternal outsider. I was a family man, my bohemian days long since over. He must have found me quite tame in comparison.

The next day, he joined me in The Gladstone and he read some of his poems from mgv2-81 Transverser – he was the very first poet that I invited to kick off The Gladstone Readings which would draw poets from all around the country to come up to Skerries to sit with me for a few hours in an old fisherman pub in Skerries to read and talk about poetry. He was his typical self, that day. Larger than life. He stood in the middle of the small seaside pub declaiming verses by himself in French and of course by Baudelaire. Imagine Gerard Depardieu, a little. He had a very large presence. He was full of joie de vivre that day, and I had a great time reading my transversions of his work to the assemble gathered. They were all clearly having a laugh too.

Ah yes, it was a good day. One of my fondest memories, to be honest of all The Gladstone Readings. Well, Famous Seamus, my publisher at the time, did a beautiful job on the anthology The Gladstone Readings (2017) and which we published some years later. CeeJay’s poems in French and my English transversions also appear. The book is out of print now but if you are interested have a look on Amazon and you may find some second-hand editions going to spare.  

The next time, and last, I met CeeJay was in Paris. Again, through my publisher at the time Famous Seamus who were bringing out my Dublin Trilogy as part of a commemorative reading again for Baudelaire. It was 150 years since the poet died in 1867, and we both wanted to mark the occasion with a reading in Paris. It was to be another fateful day as it was also the day that I got to meet Yan Kouton for the very first time. Yan was to go on and translate Henry Street Arcade which is due out in the spring next year.

CeeJay read alongside myself ( pictured above with CeeJay on the day) Christophe Bregaint, Yan Kouton and the Beckettian actor extraordinaire Conor Lovett, my old school-hood friend. Little did I know that it would be the last time that I would see him. I was with my son Liam who had organised the whole event which took place in a wonderful cave au vin behind Notre Dame. It was a really special occasion, just some poets and Baudelaire enthusiasts and perhaps the odd tourist congregating in the old cave.

He read with gusto, I remember, on the day. But, then, that was so typical of him.

 

Sommets

 

 

Avec la volonté de ma maîtriser.

L’âme dans de gants de chamois.

Dans l’anfractuosité du roc je me love, je me délove.

 

Par moments là- bas sur la crête,

Alors que je deviens trés calme et silencieux,

Je peux entendre le crquement de la pierre.

 

Temps qui n’ai ni commencement ni fin.

Présent parallel qui emplit les espaces vides.

Les dimensions fluctuant impercetiblement.

 

Pétrifié mon corps cesse d’exister.

Au creux profonde du cervelet

Seule la commande d’immobilité persiste.

 

Mon cerveau, chaudron où bouillone le trouble

Jette l’anathème du bruit nu pour l’oeil et l’âme.

La tempête s’approche à toute Vitesse, il n’y a pas d’abris.

 

L’aigle passe et repasse à la recherche d’une proie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Summiths

 

A soul in kid gloves,

With the will to control myself,

In the crevice of the rock I fall in and out of love.

 

At times down on the ridge,

When I become calm and silent,

I can hear the gentle pulverisation of stone.

 

Here, time has no beginning nor end.

The present parallel fills the empty spaces

Whose dimensions fluctuate almost imperceptibly.

 

Petrified, my body ceases to exist.

Only in the most profound hollow of the cerebellum

The sole command of immobility persists.

 

My brain, that cauldron where all trouble boils,

Spurts anathema of raw sound for the soul’s eye.

The tempest approaches rapidly, there is no refuge.

 

Time ticks away in search of prey.

 

 

 

 

 

 

( The poem Sommets by CeeJay first appeared in Bombe voyage, bombe voyage

Published by his publisher in Bruxelles, maelstrom 2014. It also appeared with my transversion into English in both mgv2>81 Transverser 2015, and The Gladstone Redaings Anthology, Famous Seamus, 2017.  

No comments:

Post a Comment