Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

To the Reader - Transversion from Les Fleurs Du Mal



This is a reading of my transversion of the opening poem to Baudelaire's Les Fleurs Du Mal. I have taken, of course, some liberties, re-contextualised certain passages, particularly the bestiary which normally figures towards the end of the poem. 

This transversion is more in line with an age of Gangster Capitalism.

It is the opening work in The Enemy - Transversions from Charles Baudelaire published by Lapwing Press in Belfast in 2015. See link below to purchase in either eBook or traditional format.

I am not finished working on Les Fleurs Du Mal, my intention is to transverse the entire work. The poems transversed in The Enemy cover almost all of the first section Spleen and Ideal. It is an epic endeavour, more of a life work, so I am working on it piecemeal while I continue working on other projects. But, I am quite happy with the progress so far. I am becoming stronger, more confident in my working methods, as the years go by.

Les Fleurs Du Mal is a book that you return to again and again at different stages in your life, like all through canonical works. As a working poet you learn a lot from such long-standing engagements, as you are learning from the very best. If was to give some advice, to any young poets, forget about workshops. Learn another language, find a great poet who speaks to you in it, and start transversing his/her works. In my experience, this is the very best way to learn the craft of writing. All the really important writers did so, so that should tell you something. At the very least, its shows real commitment, and dedication.








No comments:

Post a Comment