Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 28, 2020

LA MUSE PAR ANNA AKHMATOVA - BILINGUAL READING WITH NINA KOSSMAN



Oleg Yankovsky in the role of Gorkachov, the Russian poet,
in Andrei Tarkovsky's masterpiece Nostalgia



Like most people around the world, I love Russian literature and cinema, so when Nina Kossman invited me to take part in the bilingual reading celebrating the life and work of the great Russian poet Anna Akhmatova, I of course accepted. My task was to find one of her poems and to translate it into the French which I would then read aloud at the Zoom reading - see the link below - the reading in its entirety is included. ( go to 22 minutes in for my reading in French)

The poem I decide to choose was The Muse which I will include in the links also below, I was working from an English translation which I found on Poetry Foundation. The translation was not very complicated to do, it was the reading which took me some thought. Anyway, I am quite happy with the reading in French. I am getting more fluent, as a result of the numerous readings I have been giving lately. So this is a very good thing.

A big thank you to Nina for encouraging me, she is a very kind host. This is the third time now that she has invited me along to her bilingual readings. Many thanks also to the other poets and translators for their very warm reception of my interpretation of the poem, their response was also very encouraging. 








No comments:

Post a Comment