Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 15, 2019

XXXIX - The Exquisite Cadaver - Transversion after Charles Baudelaire







I took the above selfie while a quarter way into The Enemy - Transversions from Charles Baudelaire which was eventually published by Lapwing in Belfast, 2015. I was quite sick at the time, having been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis the year previous. I was not able to work, so bad had my condition become, and one way of keeping busy at home was translating-transversing Baudelaire.

I kind of grew up in France during the nineties, having moved there first to Paris, where I spent five years, and then moving south to Bordeaux. So France, and French culture, became incredibly important to me. I suppose this is what sets me apart from other writers in Ireland. Whereas they would mostly be relying on W.B. Yeats or Seamus Heaney as principle sources of influence, Baudelaire was my go to poet.

After finally finishing The Dark Pool, a book which took me over 15 years to write, I felt I had to try and translate him. I owed him so much, after all in that book I had tried to transpose Baudelaire's 19th century aesthetic onto 21st century Dublin, and it had worked. After this experiment I was totally able to concur with Slajov Zizek, when Russia annexed the Crimea, that we were actually living once again in the 19th century. Baudelaire's poetry feels so right for the times, the appalling abuse of power and violence which one sees everywhere. Just look to the recent elections in the UK and the rise of populism, might is right once again. This is Vico, the cyclical nature of empires, what he would call in his Scienza nouva the heroic age.

Baudelaire is one of the few poets who injected the spleen of his times into his poetry, he was one of the first to totally seize on the negative side, totally, and to use it as a poetic force, or power, and the results are still as unsettling as they were when Les Fleurs du Mal was first published back in the mid to late 19th century. 

In my transversions of his work, I wanted to give a contemporary spin to his work. So I brought in Francis Bacon, Heidegger the holocaust and other such phenomenon that I thought would not be too far out of place. In fact Bacon's reworkings of Velasquez and Van Gogh were my inspiration, rather than any other writer. I wanted to experience the same freedom of violent expression. I was so tired of reading trite platitudes typically associated with Anglo-Saxon poetry. I was so tired of the hypocrisy. Hence the anger and frustration, to be harnessed like a force. 

For example, who has not experienced the anger of being the jilted lover? The rage of jealousy, when Love turns poisonous? When one merely experiences Hate when one formerly felt Love? These are the extremely powerful emotions that Baudelaire wanted to tap into, the reverse side of the mirror. It was an incredible experience working on this book, finally I had to abandon it. But, I still come back to him. One day, perhaps in another ten years, I hope to publish my complete transverions of Les Fleurs du Mal.        


XXXIX. – The Exquisite Cadaver



Remember the ideal object which you discovered
That beautiful summer morning, Dear soul:
By way of the path where you found that exquisite
Cadaver lying on a bed of pebbles,

Her legs in the air, like some old tart,
Burning and stewing in poisons,
Her belly slit, almost nonchantly,
Pouring forth all manner of noxious gasses?

The sun burns down on the decomposing
Body, as if searing a steak,
Rendering back a hundred- fold to Mother Nature,
What she herself had first conjoined.

And the sky looks upon the superb carcass
As it would upon a flower of Evil,
The rigor mortis encroaching to such a point
That the very earth around it has been scorched.

Great Blue Bottles swarm in convoys,
Buzzing out of the gaping cave, Cyclopean...
While a treacle of feasting larvae thickly drip,
Making of the stain a macabre Persian carpet.

The process of decomposition rose before me,
Falling in waves, and which I perceived in a kind of
Pointillism, so that, wave-borne,
The corpse seemed to come alive and multiply before me!

This alternate universe was announced in atonal chords,
And hit me with all the fever of a jungle humidity,
Or, like the sporadic grains, scattered by a winnower,
Whose rhythmic movements spun me in a dervish.

The effaced shapes and forms were as if but a dream
From a preliminary sketch, slow to arrive,
And which the artist, not being able to rely on memory,
Had then to resort to the magnetism of specific photographs.

Behind the rocks an unnerved dog
Looked at us both with a ravenous eye,
Trying to deduce the auspicious minute
When he could rip apart some rotting flesh from the bones.

-          And yet, You now would appear to be not so dissimilar to this horror,
This putrid infection,
At one time Star de mes yeux,
You my one time, all consuming passion!

Yes! After the last rites have long ago been pronounced upon us,
O You, my once graceful Queen,
When will you now, in your own time,
Wallow with these bones upon the grass?

So, my great Beauty! Whisper then to the vermin
How you will cherish their kisses,
While I guard for eternity this sublime image,
Of all of our decomposing Love.


To order a copy of The Enemy - Transversions from Charles Baudelaire click on the link below.

https://sites.google.com/a/lapwingpublications.com/lapwing-store/peter-o-neill


No comments:

Post a Comment