Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Freedom, sonnets, form and the importance of numbers ( 3/4)




                                     

                                          Detail from The Taking of Christ by Caravaggio
                                                    in the National Gallery of Ireland







Freedom


Freedom is a cage, embrace the bars.
Consider it, did you ever ask to be born?
Were you ever personally consulted in the matter?
And what about death? apart from the obvious-
Suicide was for Camus the ultimate
Expression of human freedom –
Again, what freedom do you have?
Even breathing, again it is out of your control,
Apart from regulating; your heartbeat the same!
You see, you are on autopilot my friend.
Now, take any other part of your anatomy…
Yes. Think about it? So, you see,
There is very little freedom there.
Freedom is a cage, embrace the bars.



I’ve been meaning to write the above poem for a long time. I had the aphorism which begins and ends the poem for a long time now and I just needed the right idea to come along so I could sandwich it, as it were. The formulation follows another fourteen liner which was published by Fly on the Wall Press in the UK just before Christmas last year. This brings me to the sonnet as form, again.
Normally, I follow a 4/4/3/3 variation in verse, even when I’m not, if you get me. 

I wrote an essay recently about the importance of the numbers 3 and 4 in ancient Hebraic geometry and its significance for both Joyce and Beckett in relation to Finnegans Wake and Comment c’est/How It Is. Their interest goes back to people like Leonardo Da Vinci and Vitruvius who were concerned as both scientists and artists about the ratio of perfect forms, wo/man being one in terms of physical beauty.

The number four is symbolic of God, or total knowledge. The solid shape being robust enough to withstand the pressures of the world. Three then being synonymous, at least for thinkers like Beckett according to my research, with human knowledge, or human capacity. In other words, somewhat to be found lacking… the missing quarter!

To return to sonnets. The opening eight lines usually treat some theme, lofty enough, usually. Love or freedom being typical. Both transcendent notions, evocative of “God”, or the unlimited beyond if you prefer, In other words, somewhat out of the reach of us poor mortals. The last two verses then, in the 3/3, bringing the theme crashing back to earth, grounding us in reality. Hence the almost kick in the teeth punchline effect of a good sonnet. Baudelaire was a genius at it. Of course, he had vision. Man was doomed from the very beginning, in his eyes…   

A note on this post, and others like it. This post is only temporary, as I will be taking it down as soon as I decide which journal or magazine I decide to send it out to. I have been doing this now for some time. This is the ‘benefit’, if I may call it that, of following my blog. As you will get access to material that you would not have if you were only to look at it from time to time, as it were!

This poem is taken from malus the collection I am currently working on. So far three poems have been published from it. One, as mentioned, in the UK another, written in French, in France, and most recently another has been published in a biannual online international surrealist journal here in Dublin. But that is another story

/post.   

No comments:

Post a Comment