Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Misanthrope published in Live Encounters, February issue 2020



                                                           
                                                           

My friend David Rigsbee opens the February issue of Live Encounters, so typical of him, writing about another writer whom he admires... I've said this before, generosity of spirit in this fashion, for me, is one of the sure hallmarks of a writer of quality, as David assuredly is. Another sign, and it comes from the same selfless servitude to his art, is the fact that he also translates, Dante in his case... So a respect for tradition, craft and the importance of the Other inhabiting different languages...appreciating difference, and the importance of multiple cultures... all of these further hallmarks of a true writer, in my opinion. David Rigsbee, like so many of his generation, is engaged politically, socially and, of course, artistically.

Other familiar names in this issue to me are John W. Sexton and Richard Krawiec, the latter whom I met through David, Richard comes also from/lives in North Carolina. Richard, as well as being a poet, is a novelist and an editor, running a publishing firm and an online magazine ( One ). While John is based down in Kerry, the Kingdom, but who has also strong links to my hometown of Cork. While Richard has edited some of my work, he published a broadsheet of six of my sonnets from Henry Street Arcade, for example, I have in my own turn have had the pleasure of including a smaple of John's work in an anthology which I edited - The Gladstone Readings. But John and I go back further, he was responsible for getting me my first paid reading gig down in Cork when my first book came out in 2014 - The Elm Tree. 

Mark Ulyseas is the man behind Live Encounters, a wonderful editor and free spirit he is too. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mark but he has published quite a fair bit of my writing up to now, and we have had a good time of it so far... Mark and I are kindred spirits, and I see us journeying forward together as long as Live Encounters is around, hopefully...

I'm including the link below so you can read my latest publication The Misanthrope which is a poem I wrote for my son Liam who lives in Paris, his home city which is going through some considerable turmoil at the moment. I wrote this poem for Liam after having visited him in Paris two years ago. Eamon Mag Uidhir, poet and editor of Flare, was kind enough to film me reading the poem last night in the Lord Edward pub last night, opposite Christchurch Cathedral. I really enjoyed reading this poem aloud. I hope you enjoy it too...  




https://liveencounters.net/le-poetry-writing-2020/02-february-pw-2020/peter-oneill-the-misanthrope/?fbclid=IwAR2WcB2ecwZ3LvUCEp9Jz9iZLitfY7sRFeWlLIupvtIR-





https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w2wumqh35tjs7x/VID_20200129_200055.mp4?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR2f5lvVAVZpUf15P_MU54XCLs5pd1m_QiWxo7mcnkpK7OaWt_Yjckhd7Hc

No comments:

Post a Comment