Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Sad Page Three Girl



                               

                                                     Fitzgerald's Park, Cork



This poem was written in the mid-nineties in Cork, so around twenty five years ago! That makes you think... I was a very young man in my mid to late twenties. Jesus!.. Water on the old proverbial Lee now. But, I remember that I was staying in some old bedsit on Wellington Road, I was on the first floor just above the door of this old house, very grand affair at one time, digs for English officers I believe at one time ; the barracks just up on the hill behind it. But, while I was living there it was just full of single men. Typical bedsit land. The area had been in the news at the time as there had been a murder in the environs, the day I moved into this particular building Gardai were looking for body parts in the parking area... I kid you not. So, yes, a colourful kind of place alright.
Anyway, I was just back from France and my head was full of Rimbaud and Raymond Chandler and, well other things too... its in the title

https://the-scum-gentry-alternative-arts.com/peter-o-neill-poetry-page-3-girl/

A word about the publisher The Scum Gentry. There is a great need for publishers like this in Ireland. It is run by Ross Breslin who is a young writer himself and is very much trying to keep true to the spirit of punk in the seventies. So, punk-lit. This movement was in direct contrast to the 'perfect' poem school of the eighties and which continues to dominate in official poetry journals in a lot of countries, but particularly here in Ireland. Anyway, not going to get into all that now...

No comments:

Post a Comment