Total Pageviews

Monday, April 20, 2020

Ulick O'Connor 'Glad to be Dead' and Peter O'Neill 'A Happy Death' - Two Approaches to Translation

                                 
                       

Ulick O'Connor, Fred Johnson and Joseph Woods
                                                    at the launch of The Kiss, 2008.



Two Approaches to Translation



Ulick O'Connor certainly planted seed when his Poems of the Damned first came out published by Wolfhound Press in 1995. I used to have the slim first edition, lent it to someone like an eejit and so had to wait for 2008 to have my own copy of his translations again. I had a great respect for this old world gentleman, hearing him on the radio reading his very fine renderings one Sunday morning while all the rest were at mass! I thought that was a very nice touch, Baudelaire would have been amused. 

But, for my tastes, O'Connor makes the fatal mistake of attempting to keep the rhyme in English, as translators are prone to do. In this way, I would counter, what he gains in rhyme he loses in brooding bloody atmosphere. This is what I wanted to render in my transversions. In order to show you what I mean, let us take a poem in French by Baudelaire and compare O'Connor's translation with my own transversion of the same poem. Now, before anyone gets all uppity with me, what I am trying to show here is difference, that is all. It is not a question of which approach is best, as this is entirely subjective. I simply want to clarify two different schools of thought on the matter, for the purposes of sheer appreciation, clarity and, who knows, perhaps even a little conversion. But to which side is only your ( yes, YOU the reader) guess.

“Just trust your ears, ya Gobshite!” The author stage whispers to the poor reader.








LXXII. – LE MORT JOYEUX


Dans une terre grasse et pleine d’escargots
Je veux creuser moi-même une fosse profonde,
Où je puisse à loisir étaler mes vieux os
Et dormir dans l’oubli comme un requin dans l’onde.

Je hais les testaments et je hais les tombeaux;
Plutôt que d’emplorer une larme du monde,
Vivant, j’aimerais mieux inviter les corbeaux
A saigner tous les bouts de ma carcasse immonde.

O vers! noirs compagnons sans oreille et sans yeux,
Voyez venir à vous un mort libre et joyeux;
Philosophes viveurs, fils de la pourriture,

A travers ma ruine allez donc sans remords,
Et dites-moi, s’il est encore quelque torture
Pour ce vieux corps sans âme et mort parmi les morts.











Glad to be Dead
Translation by Ulick O’Connor



Deep in the slimy earth surrounded by snails
I want to dig myself a gaping pit,
Where like a shark in a wave, snug beyond gales,
I can stretch my creaking bones a little bit.

I hate tombs, legacies, those sorts of shows
Rather than ask for some sign of remorse
By staying alive, I would prefer to ask the crows
To lap the blood from my loathsome corpse.

Worms without ears or eyes, to your dark company
Admit now a new friend, joyous and free
As for you prosperous philosophers, sons of filth,

Across my tomb step without remorse or dread,
Let me know if you find some new torment built

For this dogsbody without a soul among the dead.










LXXII. A Happy Death

Transversion Peter O’Neill

In a great plot of snail infested earth
I wish to dig myself a profound hole,
Where I can repose these old bones at my leisure
And sleep the big sleep like a shark beneath the waves.

I detest wills, and tombs;
And instead of provoking a further tear in this poor world,
I would much rather invite the crows
To feast upon my old and rotting carcass.

O worms! Black eyeless companions,
Living philosophers, sons of filth,
Come and gratify yourselves on a free and happy death;

Inside my ruinous cadaver roam at your will
And tell me if there is another torture
For this my soulless corpse, lifeless among the dead.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment