Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Fitzgerald's Park

                                               
                                          Adam & Eve by Edward Delaney, Fitzgerald's Park, Cork.






Fitzgerald’s Park is a public park which is situated alongside the banks of the river Lee just outside Cork city, on the road west leading out to the country. I used to go there a lot after I had finished school. I was very lost and confused at the time, and so needed a lot of time to think on my own. So, the peace of the park was wonderful.

I was around 19, at the time. I had been out of school for around a year or so and was pretty directionless. After having been accepted into the Crawford Art School on the strength of my portfolio and interview, when I did go along to register in September I was told I couldn’t due to the fact that I hadn’t passed my final exams. This left me in a bit of a pickle as I had nowhere to go now, and what was worse still no direction!

For the majority of my late childhood, I had been sketching and drawing. I even won a minor European art competition when I was 15, so my whole family were expecting me to take the usual route and go to art school. However, when it came to it, I actually realised that this is not where my real talents lay. I couldn’t actually satisfy my own artistic needs through paint or painting. So, what to do? It was really a crossroads for me really.

Then, one day, I went out to the park, as I would normally do, and while I was sitting there on one of the park benches next to the pond, probably smoking countless Sweet Afton as I was prone to do at the time, I wrote the following poem. It was an epiphany, really. I knew from that moment forward that this was the voice, for better or worse, that I had to follow. It was unmistakable. I was a writer, after all!  


Fitzgerald’s Park
In memory of Edward Delaney



All waters are Galilee.
All banks the Jordan.
Madonna’s all women with children.
You don’t believe?
Look to the garden...
See! Adam’s got a hard on’.
Hang up your hat,
The sun is male,
And the birds
Aflame.
                                                                       

        

                                                                                          circa 1987





No comments:

Post a Comment